Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Currently Reading...

I'm now reading 'A Year in the Maine Woods', by Bernd Heinrich. It's about a scientist who decides to spend an entire year in his cabin in Western Maine. This is a totally backwoods experience; his cabin can only be accessed via a half-mile uphill trek. He is at times very spiritual, in his contemplation of the most subtle things around him. It is also filled with emotion, as he thinks about his love for the solitude of the woods, mixed with his loneliness from being single. It is also filled with little tidbits of information, as the scientist tries to understand these little wonders. I connect with the book, and the author, in a unique way, and that is why I love it. I find that much of what he thinks about regarding his life is quite similar to what I continue to try to figure out. I don't think ill find a solution to my life from the book, but it may help give me some perspective, and a different way to think about it. The book is a good read even if you're aren't confused and emotional, however. Reading this book will help slow you down, and show you how to appreciate even the most subtle parts of life. It is a contemplative memoir, and a great read.

    Let me know if you read it and what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment